Creating a Favicon icon for your website is easy and makes your website look more professional. A favicon icon is a form of branding your website.
The steps for creating a favicon and getting it recognized are as follows:
- Open Photoshop or other graphic editor software. Crop a piece of your logo so you have one small object surrounded by a white space or a colored background. Look at BigSitesInc's favicon, I cropped out just the big "B" from the logo including some red space around it. The size in not so important as the software to create the favicon will shrink it perfectly. Save this file on your computer.
- Go to the website Dynamic Drive http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/ or click this link.At the top of this page you select the file you made in step 1 by clicking the Browse button then uploading the image to the Favicon Maker. Now check on the right the two boxes to make desktop icons, then click the Make Icon button on the left.
- Download the new icon to your computer then upload the generated file ("favicon.ico") to your site. Verify it's there by typing http://mysite.com/favicon.ico in the browser's location, where "mysite.com" is your site's address.
- Next, insert the below code in the HEAD section of your pages, at the very least, your site's main index page:
<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/favicon.ico
- Now save your sites pages and upload your site to your hosting server, I use and recommend www.GoDaddy.com .
You are done!
Note that your favicon may not appear immediately after you've completed the above two steps. In fact, it may take a few days, and in IE, sometimes the favicon will disappear from time to time due to a browser bug. I tested it in FireFox and Chrome and they show up immediately, but Internet Explorer is intermittent.